Vanilla for Ma
Top image: http://goo.gl/0tdv9d
This Mother’s Day, why not show your appreciation with some homemade cupcakes? Try out this delicious vanilla cupcake topped with caramel icing. Beautify it by sprinkling some nuts or heart shaped toppings.
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon water
- 200g caster sugar
- 110g butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 200g plain flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 125ml milk
Prep: 20min › Cook: 20min › Ready in:40min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease and flour a cupcake tin, or line it with paper cases.
- Stir together the cocoa and water to form a paste. Set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
- Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Gradually stir in the milk until the mixture is smooth.
- Spoon half of the cupcake mixture into a second bowl. Stir in the cocoa mixture until well combined. Spoon mixture into the prepared tin, filling cases 3/4 full. Repeat with the vanilla cupcake mixture.
- Bake cupcakes for 20 to 25 minutes. Cupcakes are done when they spring back to the touch. Let it cool completely before topping with your favourite icing.
- 50g butter, melted
- 75ml single cream
- 175g dark brown soft sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 220g icing sugar
Make the icing while the cupcakes cool. Combine the butter, cream and dark brown soft sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and stir in the icing sugar and vanilla. Set the pan over a bowl of ice water and whisk or beat with an electric mixer until fluffy. Ice cupcakes when they are completely cool.