SOS – Sick of Stress
Tom image: http://goo.gl/h7TxCo
Stress is an inevitable part of life. Dealing with it properly is essential as stress can cause body aches, high blood pressure, insomnia and many other health related issues. Many overlook the symptoms of stress, passing them off as common ailments, leaving it to lead to something more severe. If left untreated, stress can turn into a mental illness such as an anxiety disorder or depression.
The first step is identifying what are the signs of stress.
Identify what triggers your stress. Is it work, family, school, or something else you can identify? Write in a book when you’re feeling stressed or anxious, and look for a pattern. They can range from work to relationships. It is even possible to be still affected by something that happened in the past. Once you have identified your stress trigger, find a way to reduce or if possible, eliminate them completely from your life.
Here are some basic ways that can help you overcome stress.
- Take a break. Listen to music, get a massage ,practice yoga, meditate.
- Eat proper meals. Do not skip meals. Have a well-balance diet.
- Limit alcohol and caffeine, which can aggravate anxiety and trigger panic attacks.
- Get enough sleep. When stressed, your body needs additional sleep and rest.
- Take deep breaths. Inhale and exhale slowly.
- Count to 10 slowly. This helps especially when you’re feeling overwhelmed.
- have a sense of humour. A good laugh goes a long way.
- Maintain a positive attitude. Try to replace negative thoughts with positive ones.
- Talk to someone. Tell friends and family or someone you can trust that you’re feeling overwhelmed, and let them know how they can help you. You should also consult a professional for further help.