Ella Tan | On 30, Jan 2015
The seasoned traveller sallies forth with minimal luggage. Decide on a colour scheme and you can match basics like a couple of pairs of pants with several tops. If your itinerary includes something dressy like a night at the opera, a wedding you’ve been invited to, or a formal dinner on a cruise, include appropriate wear for the occasion that’s versatile enough to take you on another evening out. For selfies and group photos, throw on a change of scarf or accessory, so you don’t look like you only have one set of clothing.
Start with a list, and use a pen to cancel off anything you can live without.
- Bring a couple of large transparent zip lock bags for storing clothes to be laundered.
- Make clothes wrinkle resistant by rolling them up together fairly tightly. The scientific explanation is that by rolling you create a radius bend and this gentle handling allows the fabric to recover with just a bit of shaking out.
- Heavy items like boots and shoes will go to the bottom of the bag. Next, stack any clothing that doesn’t need rolling eg jeans. I just fold them in half and they fit just right. Then the clothing rolls go on top.
- Store your unmentionables in old shoe bags, so you don’t have to rummage for them.
- Use bright, colourful tags to make your suitcase easily identifiable.
- Go through everything you’ve packed and do one final edit.
And now you’re ready to jet off!